terça-feira, 19 de novembro de 2013

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Clary Fray, 15, learns she has the Sight, when she sees murder, and three tattooed teens with bizarre weapons at the NYC Pandemonium Club - or does she? Her mother disappears, a demon attacks her, and Clary is drawn into the world of Shadowhunters, warriors who kill demons. Jace is a Shadowhunter who looks like an angel and acts like a jerk.

My Thoughts

In spite of this book's popularity, I never felt that I HAD to read it. Actually that was one of the reasons why I kept avoiding picking it up ... Also, after reading Twilight, I wasn't really in the mood to start another series with demons, vampires and werewolves. 

However, I couldn't ignore all the hype around it and the fact that some of my favorite book reviewers kept raving this series, led me to finally decide to pick it up and see if it was worth all the hype.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book but that isn't enough to say that it's worth all the rave reviews that it has received or that it's one of the best books I've ever read within this genre. It's entertaining and it has some funny moments but there's not much more to it.

I wasn't fascinated with the world building and with all the demons and other "monsters" that Jace, Alec and Isabella hunted. I think that was actually my least favorite part of the book ... However, I enjoyed the dynamics between some of the characters, especially Jace, Clary and Simon. They formed this really funny love triangle that didn't make me want to say "Let's get this over with and just pick one of the guys!". That was one of the things that I enjoyed the most about this book; there was romance but it wasn't cheesy or annoying to the point of making me lose interest in the story. I think that Cassandra Clare did a really nice job balancing it out with the rest of the story.

Overall an entertaining and - at times - funny book. I still don't know if I'll be continuing the rest of the series but I would like to check out the Infernal Devices series and see if it's similar to this one.

I know there's also a movie but I'm really not that curious about it so I probably won't be watching it any time soon.

I give 3,5 out of 5 stars.

0 comentários:

Enviar um comentário